Friday, March 23, 2012

Homemade Granite Cleaner

I'm one of those people who cleans most of our home with a spray bottle filled with white vinegar and water. I started doing this when my kids were little because I was worried about using chemicals around them and on things they might touch or put in their mouths.

One of the things that sold me on our new home two and a half years ago was the kitchen. It has lots of space and great granite counter tops. I knew nothing about caring for granite and was bummed to learn that the acid in my go-to vinegar-and-water combo could damage the granite and that plain dish soap makes granite dull over time. Out I went to the nearest we-sell-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink store, only to return empty-handed. I couldn’t spend so much money a product I’d use every day and the amount of chemicals sort of freaked me out.

After doing a little research, I learned that I could make my own granite cleaner – cheap!!! Here’s how: fill a small spray bottle half-way with rubbing alcohol, add 3-4 drops of liquid dish soap and fill the rest of the bottle with water. Shake and you’re ready to clean. Of course, you should be careful around open flames and remember to label the bottle since it looks like plain water. (In other words, use common sense.)
I’ve been using this mixture for almost three years and the granite’s still shiny!
Look at that reflection!

No comments:

Post a Comment